Looking into learning how to create an effective digital marketing strategy that gets results? Then this blog is for you. Before discussing digital marketing strategy, let’s first understand Traditional Marketing versus Digital Marketing.
What is traditional marketing?
Traditional marketing is about communicating a message to attract customers to purchase your product or service using TV, radio broadcasts, direct mail, newspaper, billboards, and posters.
But in recent years, there’s been a change in how we do marketing, and that’s the emergence of Digital Marketing.
What is digital marketing?
Digital marketing refers to the use of digital channels in addition to some traditional media channels to promote a product or service.
This approach offers greater flexibility and targeted delivery of your message. It also provides a lower cost per lead than other mechanisms, such as advertising in a newspaper or TV.
We can also define digital marketing as any marketing activity that uses an electronic device and the Internet, including text messaging and email.
The growth of digital marketing has led to the massive popularity of social media networks like Facebook and Twitter. It has also ushered in the massive use of mobile devices, particularly smartphones.
Nowadays, you can’t step outside your home without seeing at least ten people staring at their smartphones. It’s become the norm.
Digital marketing also allows brands to interact with their target audience on their terms. It paves a great way to build awareness, gain trust and loyalty, and ultimately sell more products or services.
How digital marketing started
Digital marketing started with the invention of the Internet. Businesses realized that they could use the Internet to reach their customers.
Digital marketing is a way to promote and sell a product or service online. The first use of digital marketing was in 1995, when the Internet had only been around for five years.
One example of a Digital Marketing platform is Google. This search engine was founded in 1998 by Larry Page and Sergey Brin. They built Google to create a search engine that could find information faster than any other.
Google began expanding its services to include email, maps, and advertising. This move allowed them to expand their reach into new markets and build a massive user base.
How digital marketing differs from traditional marketing
Digital marketing is a term that describes the use of online tools or the Internet to market a product or service. On the other hand, traditional marketing is done in person, through TV and radio broadcasts, or print materials like direct mail, newspaper advertisements, billboards, and posters. Traditional marketing is a form of marketing that has been around for decades.
The main difference between digital and traditional marketing is that the former uses technology to reach its audience, while the latter relies on word of mouth and printed media.
Another difference between digital and traditional marketing is that digital marketers can track their results more accurately than traditional marketers. Digital marketing allows you to track how many people see your ad, how often they see it, and how many of them click on it. You can also follow whether or not those clicks lead to purchases or other actions you want them to take, like filling out a contact form or signing up for your newsletter. This capability allows you to make changes more quickly based on how well your campaigns are doing. With traditional marketing, there’s no way to track the effectiveness of your ad campaign until it’s over.
Digital marketing can also be personalized and targeted based on individual preferences and behaviors. Traditional marketing tends to be more general because it relies on mass advertising techniques that don’t allow for personalization or customization of content or messaging.
Here’s an example scenario. If you want to get people to see your play at the theater in town, you might put up posters around town so that people who like plays know about yours. That’s traditional marketing! If you want to get people to buy tickets for your play on their phones instead, that’s digital marketing!
Common principles in both digital marketing and traditional marketing
Digital marketing and traditional marketing are two different approaches to advertising, but they have a lot in common. They both rely on the same basic principles:
1. You need a message that people will respond to.
2. You need to know your target audience and how to reach them.
3. You need some budget—money, time, or something else—to pay for your campaign.
4. You need to know how you measure success to tell if your actions are working or not.
Both digital marketing and traditional marketing have common objectives. Here are some of them:
1. Create a brand identity or a way for people to recognize your product or service when they see it.
2. Connect with customers by providing them with information or entertainment.
3. Get more customers, whether by filling in their knowledge gaps about your product or service or by providing them an incentive to try it out, such as free samples.
4. Get people talking about what they’ve seen from you—through social media posts or word-of-mouth recommendations.
Now that we understand the differences and common principles of digital marketing and traditional marketing — let’s dive deeper into how you can create an effective digital marketing strategy.
Identify Your target market or target customers
Identifying your target customers is essential in creating a digital marketing strategy. It allows you to be more specific about the people who may want your product or service and helps you to communicate with them in a way that aligns with their needs.
Here are some tips on how to identify your target customers:
1. Who is your audience? What types of people are you trying to reach? Are they men or women? Where do they live? In big cities or small towns? Are they young or old? Do they have kids? Are they married with full-time jobs or single people who work part-time at coffee shops?
2. What do your potential customers need from you? What kinds of services or products will appeal to them? Are they looking for something specific that only you can offer—like a product that no one else has yet created? Or do they want another option among many similar companies?
3. Where do these people hang out online? Are their favorite websites related to yours? For example: if you sell shoes, maybe Pinterest would be a good place to look. Researching these things will help you get a sense of where these people are already spending their time so that when you’re ready to launch your campaign, you can be sure that you’re reaching the right people.
Common types of digital marketing campaigns
Digital marketing campaigns are a great way to reach customers and grow your business. But when it comes to choosing the right digital marketing campaign, it can be hard to know where to start.
You can use many different types of digital marketing campaigns to reach your target audience. Here are some of the most common types:
1. Search engine optimization (SEO)
SEO is optimizing your website to appear higher in search results for relevant keywords. SEO is usually done by creating optimized content for your website, writing quality meta descriptions for each page, and ensuring that your website loads quickly on mobile devices. You may also need to do keyword research to find out which words people are searching for most often on Google or Bing when looking for something similar to what you offer.
2. Content marketing
Content marketing is digital marketing that focuses on creating and sharing valuable content with your audience. The goal is to attract and retain customers by delivering relevant, helpful information about your products or services.
3. Social media marketing (SMM)
A social media campaign aims at building relationships with your customers, followers, and other users on platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and Twitter. The goal is to create brand awareness and drive engagement with your products or services. This type of marketing campaign is usually done through posts, ads, and more. It is one of the most popular forms of digital marketing.
4. Paid search advertising or pay per click (PPC) marketing
Paid search advertising involves purchasing ads on search engines like Google and Bing. When someone searches for keywords related to your business or product offerings, ads may appear.
5. Display advertising
This type of Digital Marketing campaign uses images and words to make an impression on potential customers. These ads appear on websites, apps, and social media feeds.
6. Email marketing/email advertising
Email marketing is another popular form of digital marketing to reach out to current or potential customers via email. The goal is to drive sales by offering discounts, coupons, or other incentives in exchange for a customer’s contact information (such as name, phone number, and email address).
Tools to create effective digital marketing strategies
The tools you’ll need to create effective digital marketing strategies are as follows:
- A good computer, tablet, or phone with a browser and an internet connection. You can use your computer or someone else’s. Still, you must have access to the internet and a device that can run a web browser.
- A website. This is where you can add information about your business. Post pictures of the products or services you offer. Take orders. Receive online payments and track how many people visit your page. You could create this yourself using a website builder like Wix, Shopify, or Squarespace, or hire a professional designer to do it for you.
- A business email address. This is how people can contact you directly through Gmail or another provider like Outlook or Yahoo Mail.
- A social media presence, which includes a Facebook page, Twitter account, Instagram profile, or other social media accounts that you can use to promote your business.
- A Google My Business Profile for your business. This will help people when searching for specific products or services in the area you’re operating.
- A business phone number. For people to call and ask questions about your products or services, schedule appointments with you, etc.
- An email marketing campaign that allows you to send messages out to people who have signed up for your mailing list in exchange for discounts or other perks.
- A blog to promote your business and products or services, as well as provide valuable content for your customers.
Key performance indicators (KPI) to consider for an effective digital marketing campaign
A Key Performance Indicator (KPI) is a metric that shows the effectiveness of your digital marketing campaign.
There are several key performance indicators of effective digital marketing campaigns, and they depend on the brand’s needs and goals.
It is important to have key performance indicators (KPIs) in place to monitor the success of your digital marketing campaign. You should be able to measure how well your marketing efforts are working and make adjustments accordingly.
To get started, you should identify your business’s most critical metrics. Some examples include:
- Users – Number of visitors to your website
- Conversion rate – the percentage of visitors who took the desired action on your website, like making a purchase or subscribing to your newsletter
- Cost per acquisition – the cost of acquiring a new customer
- Return on Ad Spend (ROAS) – how much money you made for every dollar spent on ads
These are just some examples of KPIs that can help you gauge the effectiveness of your digital marketing campaigns.
Ways to create and implement a digital marketing strategy
A digital marketing strategy is a plan of action to promote your business online. It’s typically comprised of tactics, such as social media posts, blog posts, and email campaigns. To create and implement a successful digital marketing strategy, you must understand your target audience and their needs. You also need to be able to prioritize the tasks involved to make sure you’re getting the most out of your efforts.
Creating a digital marketing strategy can be done in-house or by hiring a company specializing in these strategies. Both options have advantages and disadvantages but each has the capability to allow a company to reach its marketing goals.
In-house teams are usually more cost-effective than hiring an outside agency, but there are some drawbacks. Employees may not be familiar with all aspects of online marketing. Also, they may not have time to execute digital marketing campaigns because they’re already busy with other responsibilities within the company.
Hiring an outside agency means they specialize in the field and devote all their time to creating a strategy for your business. It also means they’ll be charging you for their services.
There are many digital marketing agencies to choose from, and you must find one with experience in the field that aligns with your business needs.
If you’re not sure where to start, here are some questions that can help you narrow down your options:
- What do they specialize in? (Search engine optimization, social media advertising, etc.)
- How long have they been in business?
- What is their experience level in your industry?
- What are some of the biggest brands they’ve worked with? (This will give you an idea of the results you can expect).
We hope you find this guide helpful as you consider creating and implementing digital marketing strategies to promote your business.
Twibi is a full-service digital marketing agency that creates and implements digital marketing strategies to drive results for our clients. Our services include:
- Google Ads Management
- Facebook Ads Management
- Instagram Ads Management
- Linkedin Ads Management
- Organic Social Media Management
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Email Marketing Campaigns
Contact us to get started with digital marketing to generate more leads, revenue, and customers for your business.
There are no reviews yet
Let us know what you think about this post